I was writing some exam questions for a client today (yes we actually create licensing exam questions for clients) and was struggling to come up with more questions for their exam. I thought about the requests we get from users of our site, wanting more (and different questions). Sometimes there just are not anymore, or different questions about a given topic.
Let me give you an example. By now everyone should know that you can only trade in real estate in the name that appears on your license. So lets create some practice exam questions around that
- Which of the following statements is correct regarding the name you can use to trade in real estate?
A. In the name that appears on your license
B. You can use your nickname if that is what you usually go by
C. In any name approved by your broke
D. Only in your legal name
The answer is, of course, A. Okay, so let’s create another question.
- According to RECA’s Rules regarding trading in real estate, which of the following statements is correct?
A. An associate can only trade in the name that appears on their licence
B. An associate can only trade in the name of the brokerage that appears on the brokerage licence
C. Nicknames may not be used unless the nickname appears on the associate’s licence
D. All statements are correct
Okay, should we try another?
- Richard Jones is registered with Corner Realty Ltd. When Richard was growing up his friends and relatives called him Dick. When Richard completed his licence application, he used his legal name, Richard Jones. Which of the following statements is correct, regarding the name Richard may use in real estate?
A. He may use either Richard or Dick
B. He must use Richard because that is his legal name
C. He must use Richard because that is the name that is on his licence
D. He must use Dick because that is what he is known as
Of course the correct answer is C. It has nothing to do with legal or given names.
So, can you suggest another variation of this question? I honestly cannot think of any. I can substitute Mary or Bill for Richard and use these as questions but everyone would soon see them as redundant.
The same applies with the actual real estate practice exams. We would love to have 2,000 questions on each and every practice exam but there really is not 2,000 possible questions to ask. Once you have grasped a concept (e.g. what name can an associate use to trade in real estate) you have learned it. Going back over the same question reinforces that learning.
Once again, the purpose of our site is to help you focus your studies. For example do you need to know the renewal date for licenses in Alberta? Probably not. Can we create some fluff questions just to fill space? Yes but is that what you want?
Our site was never designed to be used to replace good, old-fashioned studying.
- Read the text materials thoroughly
- Do the exercises in the book – be sure you understand how they came up with the answers
- Attend all the classes (if you are not doing distance delivery)
- Ask the instructor (or your tutor to explain things you don’t understand)
- Use our site as a review (like an electronic flashcard system)
- RELAX! If you put this much effort into it, I bet you pass.
I hope that helps. It is difficult to communicate this topic clearly. How about this? If you need to speak to someone about more questions, use the ‘Support’ link at the top of your account page and leave your telephone number we will call you to discuss this further.